Monday 9 July 2012

An International Chutney

I made my first chutney in Dubai. I was encouraged by a recent batch I had made in London.

It is a hot period now, here in the region. It has given me something to do, and keeps my husband happy :)

Almost every single ingredient came from abroad. As almost all food in UAE is imported, so my home-made chutney originated in different parts of the globe.

Ingredients as follows:

Apples -lovely crunchy & red apples came from New Zealand,

The onion came from India

The raisins came from California (dark type) and Iran (golden coloured type)

Sugar (brown) from Singapore

Tomatoes from Oman

Salt from Holland

Vinegar from UAE, of caramel colour

Curry powder and ginger powder - Gyma (local distributor of spices)




This is just a picture I like. I hope it gives you some idea of the food situation in the Emirates. Food is costly, but because it comes from far away. OK, you can get good local macaroni and local water. But we are living in the desert...

Patricia




No comments:

Post a Comment