Wednesday 12 September 2012

Gardening and eating - re-learning how to eat

I would like to share my dream of feeding my family from my home garden. I want to cook from my home-grown butternut squashes, potatoes, beans, berries, tomatoes, etc...

While being here, I miss my green garden back in suburban London. I miss my roses, thyme and lavender.

I love working in the garden, it is the best work-out and mind settling exercises which cure the "camel's hump".

Then I watch my garden grow and blossom and enjoy having family & friends around in the garden, who can appreciate the food I grow. I was lucky to come back to London to my delicious blueberries, which I served at my daughters 2nd birthday.

After eating plenty of sugar, cheap student food and being relatively ignorant about what I was choosing to eat, I have started to grow wiser.

I currently enjoy simple diet of fresh fruit (apples, peaches and berries), vegetables (greens and beans and butternut squashes), pasta and rice.

A recent favourite is pasta (tricolours) with roasted butternut squash, olive oil and balsamic vinegar, salt & pepper!

Nothing can beat freshly home-baked simple cookies made with honey and vanilla!

As a mum I love cooking with care and simplicity which any mother will understand.

I looked at my daughter at a recent play group session. I noticed that although she was surrounded by doughnuts, she chose pasta, salad and fruit that I had prepared in boxes for her.  This made me feel that my efforts were worthwhile.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment