Sunday 21 October 2012

Tiffin - home made mango chutney and vegetable curry

 
I love visiting a vegeterian Indian restaurant in Karama in Dubai, called "Sangeetha, but what I like even more, is to be able to recreate the look and aroma of dishes I try there in my own kitchen.
 
Ha! My greatest challenge yet. I have always failed miserably with Indian dishes. But today I was happy with my creations. 
 
I bought fresh and fragrant ingredients which mostly came directly from India (and which are readily available in all the shops here):
 
  • fresh ginger
  • fresh garlic
  • fresh baby limes
  • Gyma curry powder
  • flaked chillies
  • onions
  • Egyptian fresh mango
  • fresh courgettes
  • fresh spinach
  • fresh local broccoli
  •  
     
    And I made rice, home-made mango and lime chutney with curry made from courgettes, broccoli and  spinach with light coconut milk. I served it with healthy poppadoms.
     
    I smelled like a curry house and I think even a "real" Indian would have enjoyed eating my curry dish.
     
    How did I make my absolutely fabulous vegetarian curry dish?
     
    I fried minced garlic cloves (3) and chopped onion in coconut oil (few drops) for 2 minutes.
     
    Then I added in chopped courgettes, spinach, broccoli and light coconut milk. I stirred in some curry powder and dry ginger and covered it to simmer for 20 minutes.
     
 
 
My husband asked for more and my daughter cleaned her plate.
 
Home-made mango chutney below (really quite simple) and much nicer than the bought stuff.
 
 
 
 
 
I actually can't believe how easy it is to make this stuff and how much fun it gives me.
 
To create this delicious and mouth-watering mango and lime chutney I simply grated the peeled whole mango and mixed it with grated 3 cloves of garlic, mixed with the juice of 3 small limes. Then I added a bit of vinegar and black pepper. I cooked it for 20 minutes. The important bit it is to cool it down and refrigerate it for about an hour.
 
 
 
This is me about to tuck in :)
 
 
Bon Appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment